December 14, 2012
Well, today is the day kids. Sorry to keep everyone waiting, but we knew it would be worth it. As most of you know, we have been without a drummer for a while. The search has been very tedious and not much fun, until today that is, haha. Our biggest problem with finding a drummer has been that we were looking for a person who met the following criteria:
- Technically proficient - A majority of those that we tried out were technically proficient enough to play the old music at least. The new music...that's a different story.
- Be a Musician first and a metal drummer second - This was where we ran into a lot of problems. We tried out several people who were great metal drummers. They had fast hands, fast feet and could shred with the best of them. You ask them to play something other than metal and things got rough. Our new tunes have so many styles of music mixed in them that this was where most people fell off. When going from a gravity blast+double bass section to a smooth jazz section makes you nervous, we've got troubles.
- Enjoy lots of different styles of music other than metal - This sort of went hand in hand with number 2. We found that those that listened to and loved many styles of music were a lot better transitioning from a tech death part into a smooth jazz or doomy ambient part.
- Be a "well adjusted human being" - Haha, in other words fun to be around and hang out with.
- Contribute to the writing process - Our band is made up of 4 individuals who contribute to each song and with the new drummer we wanted a 5th individual that would do the same. This was another one we had problems with. We encountered a number of people who could play anything we told them to, but when it came to writing something or contributing creatively, no good.
- Have the drive and determination to practice daily and constantly grow as a musician - Our new music will not work unless it is practiced daily. The person we chose had to be able to simply enjoy playing, even if it is at home for an hour or two a day with nothing but a metronome.
After we decided these were the things we wanted in a new drummer, we sort of looked at each other and said, "well, this will probably never happen." haha. Crazy thing is, IT DID HAPPEN!!! We have found a drummer and Colin Vaughn Papp is his name. He hails from the metropolis known as Akron Ohio and plans to relocate to Columbus soon. Not only is he an AWESOME musician who works harder than anyone we've encountered, he is also one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Stop by his facebook page and say hello, he's one hell of a model American! We asked Colin to give us his thoughts on the whole tryout process and what not and this is what he had to say.
"Becoming a member of this band has been something inspiring for me. I've never been surrounded by a group of four people that ooze talent out of every pore of their body. Wow that last sentence sounded pretty sexual. Either way back on track, I am excited to have been given such a huge opportunity to play with some of the best musicians I've ever played with in my 13 years of drumming, and working on their new material, has forced me to use everything I have ever learned while playing drums. I can't wait until the new material we have been working on gets released for everyone to hear." - Colin
We have a new video, new merch, and show dates coming soon, so keep checking back for more updates!
-Shall Be The Conqueror